Apr 16, 2007

3 more days...

So, I find out if I made it into Teach for America three days from today. I'll easily admit to being a bit nervous. If I don't make it into either program, I'll have to quickly throw together some apps for grad programs, and it's honestly not the route I'd prefer to enter teaching through. But it's out of my hands, so I just have to play the waiting game.

On another note, the title of this blog comes from an amazing book that everyone (not just teachers) should read, called "Up the Down Staircase" by Bel Kauffman. Thanks to my upstairs neighbor for lending it to me; it's definitely one of the best books I've read in a long time, and from all of the teacher blogs I've been reading, the book seems just as timely today as it was decades ago. Do yourself a favor and check it out! Ok. PSA over.

And one more "other note" for today's entry. The blogs to the right of teachers (especially NYC teachers) are an amazing, haunting, depressing, and ultimately illuminating look into inner-city classrooms as they really are--not glossed over by the admins and bureaucrats who tout "improvement" over the cries of the voices in the know. Check them out. Especially for teachers-to-be, like me, they will give you a lot to think about and digest.

2 comments:

Ms. C said...

Ms. X,

If you don't mind, I'd love to ad your blog to my list of links...I think new teachers need to "scaffold" from the old ones...or at least older. If you ever feel like visiting a real NYC classroom drop me a line.

Best of luck!

SarahMarian said...

Best of luck!